Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Aging Parents: The Guilt Will Do You In!

My beautiful Mom died in 2006. I'll never get over it.
She lived with me for many years. And I would not have
had it any other way. We were fortunate that she was able
to be with me.

It was right at the end when we knew she would have to
consider a nursing home. I was devastated. She was devastated.
But we were able to be side-by-side up until her last breath.
I'll cherish these memories for the rest of my life!

I'm guilty. I keep thinking of things I could have done that
would have made her life even easier. Guilt is a terrible
thing. It keeps you awake at night. But I did do my best.

Usually it takes so little to make a big difference. Little
things can mean so much. One of the things that brought a
a smile to Mom's face was her reading table. Her laptop
reading table was a godsend!

She used it when she couldn't get out of bed. She used it
when she was up and sitting in her favorite chair. Mom used
her reading/eating tray for everything!!!

I miss my Mom so much but I'm happy for the memories of
watching her enjoy her tray every day of her life!