Friday, December 17, 2010

Slip and Falls: 'Tis The Season...Don't Let It Happen To Your Aging Parents!

Falling down is no fun. Little kids don't mind it. But we older ones know the damage that can be done. It can happen in a flash. We don't see the black ice. There's a light dusting of snow hiding a patch of ice. Bruised bones are bad enough. But broken bones can be life-threatening to our elders.

My mother hated to see winter. She knew she'd be more confined. She became so afraid after so many falls during her lifetime. I'm not elderly but I've had my share of bad falls on ice. Now I have traction grips for my boots. I cover everything in ice-melter. You could say I'm on high alert.

If your aging parents live with you or handy to you, it's easier to make sure sidewalks and driveways are properly maintained during the winter months. If they live by themselves, make sure they take precautions or arrange for someone to make sure the walkways are clear. And don't forget decking. Those are the absolute worse! I've done more splits on mine than I care to count. Pulled groin muscles are no fun either.

My mother had ice grips for her cane and it gave her so much more confidence in going outside in the winter. I'm almost tempted to start using a cane with ice-grips, myself! Like the one pictured here!

Duro-Med 5 Prong Ice Grip Cane/Crutch Attachment