Monday, July 30, 2007

Alzheimer's: Looking After A Parent With Alzheimer's

Alzheimer's...The word strikes fear into
our hearts. It's a disease that we are all
terrified of developing.

The fear of losing control of our minds.
And, not knowing it! Becoming someone
different.

Not recognizing our loved ones. Our loved
ones not recognizing us. Of whom we've
become.

For the caregiver of an Alzheimer's patient,
I bow to you. I can think of no more difficult
undertaking in the world.

*** The caregiving can take over 100 hours a week.
*** It's extremely hazardous to the caregiver's heath.

There's an estimated 5 million Americans who are
caregivers to someone with Alzheimer's disease.
What could the global statistics be??

As our population continues to age, the numbers
of people diagnosed with Alzheimer's and the number
of caregivers will explode.

I see more and more people coming into the
library looking for information on Alzheimer's.
This is a handbook I've found online that I feel
will be of help to many of you...

http://www.clickaudit.com/goto/?66427

As time permits, I'll be doing more research.

Take care and hang in there,
~~Karen